General SUBMISSION Guide
Submissions for the 2020 publishing cycle are currently closed. Submissions are set to reopen in January 2021, at which time we look forward to reading your work again! Please keep us in mind, and check out our general submission guidelines below when preparing to send your work. Don't hesitate to e-mail us if you have any questions or concerns.
The Editors at ThornLit.
1. þ (Thorn) Literary Magazine welcomes submissions of any genre—even better if your work defies or bends a genre! We're looking for original work that's provocative, evocative, subtly unsettling, or in some way explores the unheimlich. Psychonaut authors are welcome. All submissions must be fewer than 2,500 words. All submissions must be sent by email. For further instructions, please see the "Email Format" section below.
2. No racist, sexist, misogynist, homophobic, transphobic, etc. work will be published. No hate speech at all.
3. Please include necessary trigger warnings in your email (i.e., self-harm, eating disorders, references to suicide, etc.).
4. þ (Thorn) Literary Magazine is a quarterly publication—we publish in: spring, summer, fall, and winter.
5. We accept submissions from all over the world and from writers of all ages and backgrounds.
6. Simultaneous submissions are expected and encouraged! (But please let us know if your work is accepted elsewhere).
7. We are currently unable to print physical copies of our journal or pay contributors, but you can be sure that we will support you and your work enthusiastically on our site and on social media!
8. We retain worldwide first serial rights to all accepted work with the option for the author to extend additional rights. If your work is published subsequently, we would appreciate an acknowledgment.
9. If you haven’t heard back from us in a month, please send us an email. We are all writers, students, and employees. We will give your work the attention it deserves, but we ask for your patience in return.
10. Editors are not required to provide critiques or feedback on rejected submissions.
11. It is the author's responsibility to make sure the submitted work does not contain any libellous material; the submitting author must also certify that what they have submitted is an original work.
12. Be aware that if you do not follow these instructions, we may not consider your submission.
1. Send all submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Please indicate "Original Submission," in the subject line and include the author's NAME and the TITLE of the work.
3. In the body of the email, please include: (1) a short cover letter describing the work; (2) the word count (for prose); and (3) and a brief bio written in third person.
4. Please send the file as .docx or .doc. for prose; 300 dpi JPG or PNG for photography and art.
5. We try our best to send a confirmation email stating that we've received your submission and it is being reviewed. If you do not receive a response within two weeks, please reach out.
1. Submit 1 short story or essay up to 2500 words.
2. Submit up to 3 flash fiction/nonfiction pieces no longer than 1,000 words each (in a single document).
3. We accept short essays on literary criticism, aesthetics, and even philosophy!
4. We accept hybrid works. In the body of the email, please specify if it is a hybrid of poetry and nonfiction or poetry and fiction (this way we know which editors should read it!)
5. At this time, we are not accepting excerpts from longer works, unless they stand alone.
6. Please send file as .docx or .doc only. (No PDFs, please)!
7. Work should be composed in Verdana, Ariel, or Times New Roman (or comparable fonts—no fancy fonts, please) 12 pt., double-spaced, with pages numbered.
1. Submit 3 short poems or one long-form poem.
2. We accept various styles and forms, including translations (as long as you are the original author or you've obtained permission from the original author).
3. Send file as .docx , .doc, or PDF, if necessary.
PHOTOS & ARTWORK
1. Please submit photography, digital art, or illustrations in 300 dpi in .jpg or .png format.
2. Send no more than three pieces at a time. We value abstract and minimalist styles.
3. Send file as PDF or JPEG (print quality, minimum 300dpi @ 100%).
Note: It may take longer for us to respond to visual art submissions.